Gospel Of Grace - Part 10
The Fruit of the Spirit Is Love
I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever; that is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you and will be in you. John 14:6-7
Characteristics of Fruit:
- Fruit is birthed by abiding
- Fruit is fragile
- Fruit must remain fresh
- Fruit reproduces itself
- Fruit is attractive
- Fruit is nourishing
- Fruit quenches the thirst
- Chapters 1 & 2 – A narrative — personal
- Chapters 3 & 4 – A discussion — doctrinal
- Chapters 5 & 6 – An exhortation — practical
This Gospel of Grace Revealed:
- Galatians 5:1 “It was for freedom that Christ set us free”
- Galatians 5:5 “For we through the Spirit, by faith, are waiting for the hope of righteousness.”
- Galatians 5:6 “For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything, but faith working through love
- Galatians 5:16 “But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh.
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit. Let us not become boastful, challenging one another, envying one another. Galatians 5:22-26
The Fruit of the Holy Spirit is Lov
- Love – Greek = agape = unconquerable benevolence.
- “It means that no matter what a man may do to us by way of insult or injury or humiliation we will never seek anything else but his highest good.
- It is therefore a feeling of the mind as much as the heart; it concerns the will as much as the emotions.
- It describes the deliberate effort - which we can make only with the help of God - never to seek anything but the best even for those who seek the worst for us.” (Barclay)
- Joy – Greek = eirene
- Not the joy from earthly things but of the Spirit of God.
- We are not bound to or dependent upon temporary circumstances!
- Peace – Greek = chara
- Not just freedom from trouble but everything that makes for a man's highest good
- “A tranquility of heart which derives from the all-pervading consciousness that our times are in the hands of God." (Barclay)
- Philippians 4:7 – The peace of God, which surpasses all understanding.
- Patience (longsuffering)
- Kindness, goodness
- These two words are closely connected with the added idea of generosity in goodness.
- Faithfulness – God’s reliability developed in us.
- Gentleness – a teachable spirit, meekness.
- Self-control and not for selfish reasons.
- Galatians 2:20
- Romans 6:5-7 “For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection, knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin; for he who has died is freed from sin.”
- “If you belong to Christ—heirs according to the promise”
Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for our sins so that He might rescue us from this present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father, to whom be the glory forevermore. Amen. Galatians 1:3-5